Saturday, April 4, 2015

Scuba Diving at the Great Barrier Reef

The Great Barrier Reef is one of the natural wonders of the world. Tours leave Cairns every day. People can go snorkeling, scuba diving, or simply cruise along on a glass bottom boat. The amount of biodiversity in the reef is breathtaking. I saw fish I had never even seen in aquariums or in science textbooks. There are also many varieties of coral. The entire Great Barrier Reef is made up of close to 3,000 individual reefs.

the mask I wore

the oxygen tank that is used when scuba diving. here you can see how large it is compared to the diving instructor's leg

people snorkeling. notice the difference in water color where the reef is

people getting their scuba equipment put on while sitting on the platform at the back of the boat

sporting the wetsuit I wore. again notice the difference in water color

holding on to the rope that the boat was anchored on while I practiced breathing through the apparatus and edged deeper and deeper into the ocean

underwater in all of my equipment. I did two dive. each lasted about 25 minutes. the furthest I went down was about 10 meters

No comments:

Post a Comment